By Brother Michel Lankford
Why Focus on the Human Side of the Relationship?
One question that I often encounter from people is, “Why do you spend so much time and energy focusing on the HUMAN side of our relationship with YHWH, and with Messiah?” ”Why do you focus so much on the human Do’s & Don’ts that Scriptures require, and not as much on God’s Grace and power, apparently? “Why don’t you spend more time dealing with theology, Yahweh’s character, and His Promises etc.?
It’s a very good question, and I have a very straightforward answer:
We are 100% GUARANTEED that YHWH WILL successfully fulfill His side of the relationship. If we are truly believers, there is ZERO doubt that YHWH will KEEP His Promises, and that He will successfully accomplish what He said that He is going to do.
The ONLY thing that remains to be seen is whether I will successfully learn and practice doing fulfilling MY side, and MY responsibilities in our relationship together.
Simply put, I concentrate on the human side of our relationship with YHWH and with Messiah, because that is the ONLY part of the relationship that I’m truly RESPONSIBLE for, or that I have any control over whatsoever. Those are the only things that I can do which can either positively or negatively impact my relationship with Yahweh and with Messiah, or with other people.
I don’t need to supervise Yahweh and Messiah to make sure that He fulfills His responsibilities in this relationship; but I do have to keep a tight rein on myself, so that I can cooperate with YHWH and with Messiah to develop the character and the self-control, which is necessary for me to successfully fulfill MY part of the relationship. I concentrate on the human side of our relationship with the Creator, because that’s the only part that I as a human being am responsible for in my relationship with the Heavenly Father, and with the Savior.
Moreover, what many believers have neglected to remember in modern times is that the Heavenly Father’s Grace and power exists to help me SUCCEED at OBEYING the do’s and don’ts that I encounter in Scripture. Grace DOES NOT EXCUSE me from obeying the Father. Grace is there to empower me to obey YHWH successfully, (Ezekiel 36:25-27; Philippians 2:13). That is a crucial distinction..
Basic Discipleship Dynamics
Understanding True Biblical Discipleship is NOT difficult. They are easy concepts to understand. What can be difficult at times is to consistently apply and DO the discipleship dynamics regularly, so that they can transform your life. Ultimately there are very FEW things that we MUST learn in order to be a truly successful disciple.
- We MUST Trust and Believe יהוה (YHWH) Almighty God; and we MUST Trust and Believe יֵשׁוּעַ (Yahshua/Jesus) Whom YHWH Almighty has sent. We must believe not only in who He is, and what He said; but we must also trust and rely upon what He said that He is going to do.
- We MUST Learn His Word; (because that is WHERE His Instructions, His Commandments, and His Promises which we are relying upon, are to be found). Now, part of learning His Word means that we must learn how to correctly read, how to correctly interpret, how to correctly understand, and then how to correctly apply YHWH’s Written Word. Again, this is a very simple concept to understand, but it is not so easy to do on a consistent basis.
- We MUST Learn to Pray Effectively: Prayer is the primary way that we can truly communicate and have fellowship directly with יהוה (YHWH) Almighty, and with יֵשׁוּעַ (Yahshua) Whom YHWH Almighty has sent.Praise and Worship can also have an impact, but that is primarily about reminding us who YHWH is, and what He is capable of etc.; so that is primarily about building our faith, which we already covered.
- We MUST Apply DOING the Scriptures CORRECTLY; in the context of relationships with YHWH, with Messiah, and our relationships with other people. EVERYTHING hinges upon being able to correctly understand and apply the Scripture in the context of developing and walking in right relationship with YHWH, with Messiah, and with other people. If you will, our living relationships, are the homework, the laboratory, and the Living PROOF that you truly do understand and believe the textbook, (i.e. the Scriptures).
- We MUST apply YHWH’S Commands and Precepts in how we interact in relationships with other people.
Ultimately, These 5 Dynamics are the ONLY things that human beings can do to improve their walk and relationship with the Heavenly Father. These five areas are the ONLY areas where we as human beings have any real ability to control which can have any impact on our relationship with YHWH and with other people.
In other words, I can make choices and I can control how I choose to respond to Yahweh and to other people. I don’t necessarily have to feel good about someone in order to respond with kindness and with patience. It’s easier if I have affection for the person but I can choose to respond with kindness and with patience, whether I like the person or not. I can make the choice to obey a Holy and Biblical precept, whether I feel good about it or not. It’s easier to do if I feel good, but feeling good about it, is not a prerequisite, for me to obey a Biblical precept.
Everything beyond these 5 things is YHWH’s responsibility. Everything we teach should focus into one of these 5 Dynamics. Again, not difficult to understand, but tricky to practice and master consistently.
- BOTTOM LINE: Everything that you need to learn as a disciple will fit into one of these five Key dynamics. IF we learn and we master these 5 key dynamics of discipleship, then we will succeed as disciples. IF we DO NOT master these dynamics then our discipleship will ultimately fail. That is why these are NOT OPTIONAL, but they are MUST HAVES.With this in mind, a lifetime spent growing in the dynamics, would be a life well spent and well lived.
- TIP: We are GUARANTEED that the Words of (YHWH) Almighty are inherent, infallible, and Everlasting Truth, (Isaiah 40:8; Isaiah 55:11; Psalm 12:6; Psalm 18:30; Psalm 19:7-14; Psalm 33:4; Proverbs 30:5; Psalm 119:142; Psalm 119:151; Psalm 119:160; John 17:17; Romans 7:12; 2 Timothy 3:16-17). So, YHWH’s Word is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. It’s GUARANTEED.
- TIP: I have been a diligent student of the Scriptures for more than 25 years now, and I find that there is something CONSPICUOUS by its ABSENCE. You see, while we are GUARANTEED that YHWH’s Words are inherent, infallible, and Everlasting Truth. At the same time, NOWHERE in any place of Scripture are we guaranteed that every human reading of Scripture will be inherent, infallible, and Everlasting Truth.
- NOWHERE in Scripture are we ever guaranteed that every human translation of Scripture will be inerrant, infallible, or everlasting truth.
- NOWHERE in Scripture are we ever guaranteed that every human interpretation, conclusion, and understanding that is drawn out of the Scriptures will be inerrant, infallible or everlasting truth.
- NOWHERE in Scripture are we ever guaranteed that every human understanding of Scripture will be inerrant, infallible, or everlasting truth.
- NOWHERE in Scripture are we ever guaranteed that every human preaching and teaching of Scripture will be inerrant, infallible, or everlasting truth.
- NOWHERE in Scripture are we ever guaranteed that every human application of Scripture will be inerrant, infallible, or everlasting truth.
- This is WHY we must be DILIGENT to correctly learn, to rightly divide, and to correctly apply the Word of Truth, (see 2 Timothy 2:15).
That is WHY we must ask for and have the Holy Spirit to help us to correctly read, to correctly understand, to correctly believe and interpret, to correctly teach, and to correctly apply and do what we need from the Scriptures; because otherwise we can and we will make many unnecessary mistakes.
Prayer to rightly understand and teach the Word
Blessed are You,YAHWEH, Almighty Creator and King of the universe; Who Created all things by the Words of Your Mouth; and Who Restores, Transforms, Redeems, and Sustains us, by the Words of Your Mouth; Who gave to us יֵשׁוּעַ (Yahshua/Jesus), the Messiah to be the living embodiment of Your Word made Flesh, so that we may have an example of how to walk before You.
Thank You (יהוה YAHWEH) Almighty God for sending us Your Word, Your Laws and Your Commandments; because as (יֵשׁוּעַYahshua) the Messiah said; the Father’s Commandment IS Eternal Life, (John 12:49-50). So having REAL Eternal Life will CAUSE us to KEEP Your Commandments.
Mercifully grant to us a fresh outpouring of Your Holy Spirit. Guide us into all truth by Your Holy Spirit. Mercifully grant us Your Grace not to rely upon our own understanding. By Your Holy Spirit working in us, grant us Your True Grace to correctly read, to correctly understand, to correctly interpret, to correctly believe, to correctly apply and to faithfully obey Your Words according to Your Commandments; and then help us to correctly teach and present Your Words to others, with love, with faith, with obedience, and with grace, according to Your Commandments, and in keeping with the example of Messiah.
Blessed Be (יהוה YAHWEH) Almighty. Sanctify us by the Truth, and Your Word IS Truth, (John 17:17). Omein. Brother Robert Michel Lankford